Timeline for World Congress Program Chair
- 2 years out – In consultation with the IMS Program Secretary and the Bernoulli Society Scientific Secretary and the chair of the local organizing committee, appoint the Program Committee. Please advise the Presidents of IMS and Bernoulli before finalizing the committee membership. The Program Committee should include at least one Bernoulli Society and one IMS member.
- 2 years out – begin submitting quarterly reports to IMS/BS leadership via IMS Executive Director.
- 1.5 years out – In consultation with the Bernoulli Society Scientific Secretary and the Bernoulli Society President, appoint a subcommittee to select the Bernoulli Society named invited lectures. This subcommittee will include a CCSP representative.
- IMS Named and Medallion lectures are selected by the IMS Committee on Special Lectures. Some overlap between the Program Committee and the IMS Committee might help ensure good communication. The IMS will have named lectures 1.25 years in advance of the meeting and medallion lectures 2 years in advance of the meeting. For IMS also see the information here for Special Lectures at the World Congress.
- Schramm and Doob lecturers are selected by joint standing IMS-BS committee. For details see: http://www.bernoulli-society.org/index.php/organization/lecture-selection-committee .
- 1.5 years out – Select topics and organizers for the invited sessions. Approximately half of the invited sessions should be competitive. The Program Chair should specifically invite proposals from the Bernoulli Latin American Regional Committee, the Bernoulli East Asian and Pacific Regional Committee, IMS-China, the BS and IMS New Researchers Groups, etc to increase international participation.
- 1.25 years out – With the subcommittee, select the Bernoulli Society named lectures.
- 1 year out – Invited sessions finalized
- 4 months prior – Work with the local organizers to develop an appropriate schedule for the meeting.
Special Invited Sessions/Plenary Sessions
The sessions should include the following:
- Bernoulli Kolmogorov Lecture
- Bernoulli Laplace Lecture
- Bernoulli Lecture
- Bernoulli Levy Lecture
- Bernoulli Tukey Lecture
- Bernoulli Awards Session
- Bernoulli/IMS Doob Lecture
- Bernoulli/IMS Schramm Lecture
- IMS Medallion lectures
- IMS Wald lectures
- IMS rotating Named lectures – Rietz, LeCam, Blackwell or Neyman,
- IMS Brown Awardee Session
- IMS New Researcher Invited Session – features new researchers as the majority of the speakers and/or discussants, and
- IMS Presidential Address and IMS Awards Session
Money for Speakers
- BS/IMS Schramm Lecturer is reimbursed for $2000 for travel expenses plus the cost of registration
- BS/IMS Doob Lecturer is reimbursed up to $1500 for travel expenses (note this is set by the Illinois Journal of Mathematics, not the societies)
- IMS Medallion and Named Lecturers are reimbursed for $2000 for travel expenses plus the cost of registration.
- IMS Brown Awardees are reimbursed up to $2000 for the cost of travel and meeting attendance.