Did you say, “Free” ?
The Institute of Mathematical Statistics, a unique international organization representing wide-ranging interests in statistical research, offers Free membership to students. Membership includes full membership benefits:
- an annual subscription to the newsy IMS Bulletin
- free electronic access to all IMS journals.
- the opportunity to apply for IMS travel awards.
- discounts at our sponsored meetings. The IMS sponsors a series of meetings: an Annual Meeting (usually held during the summer), regional meetings, and special topics meetings. Many of these are joint meetings with other societies. It is an excellent way in which you can be part of the worldwide statistical scientific community.
- reduced rates on our IMS Monographs and IMS Textbooks.
- the opportunity to support an organization that supports your field of study that is governed by your colleagues.
- And much more!
What’s the catch?
It is your participation in all of IMS’s varied activities that we seek; students represent the future of our field.
Great! Tell me more about the IMS.
Publications IMS publishes five core journals: Annals of Statistics, Annals of Applied Statistics, Annals of Probability, Annals of Applied Probability, and Statistical Science.If you are working towards a Ph.D. in statistics or probability, you will no doubt become acquainted with at least one of the specialist Annals as you begin your dissertation research. But all statistics graduate students, even first-year students and those intending to pursue only a Masters Degree, will want to read the review journal – Statistical Science. Statistical Science is published four times a year, and features review articles and discussion on areas in statistics of wide current interest. The journal’s policy is for all articles, including those discussing advanced research topics, to be interesting and accessible to beginning statistics graduate students, without sacrificing genuine intellectual content. Statistical Science is an excellent way of keeping up with developments in all parts of the field. Another fascinating aspect of Statistical Science is its interviews with leading statisticians and probabilists, which will give you an insight into the way that our field has grown and developed.
In addition, to these core journals, IMS co-publishes several journals including several open access journals.
Meetings The IMS sponsors a series of meetings: an Annual Meeting (usually held during the summer), regional meetings, and special topics meetings. Many of these are joint meetings with other societies. Student Members of IMS are entitled and strongly encouraged to present papers and are generally eligible for reduced registration rates.
Travel Grants IMS members can apply for travel grants to IMS sponsored and co-sponsored meetings.
Advertisements and advocacy The IMS Bulletin and this website contains numerous ads for academic and other positions worldwide. The IMS distinguishes our field by serving as an advocate for the science of statistics and probability, and your participation undoubtedly adds to the influence it can have.
The IMS is the premier international statistics professional society.* Join and find out for yourself!
* A strong claim, perhaps, but see for example this Statistical Science article.
So what do I have to do now?
You can sign up to become a member here.