To fund travel and possibly other expenses to present a paper or a poster at an IMS sponsored or co-sponsored meeting for those who otherwise would not be able to attend the meeting. (Note: the Travel Award cannot be used to fund any part of travel to the IMS New Researcher’s Conference, as that conference is already funded separately)
The travel awards are available to IMS members who are New Researchers. This means any IMS member who was awarded a PhD within the 5 years immediately preceding the year of the application deadline or who has or will receive her/his PhD in the same year as the application deadline. For one third of the total available funds, New Researchers from countries with reduced membership dues will have first priority. Applicants must be members of IMS, though joining at the time of application is allowed.
Graduate students looking for travel funds should apply for the IMS Hannan Graduate Student Travel Award.
Grants per award are typically between USD 500 and USD 1500. The actual amount of an award depends on the travel distance to the place of the meeting. Grants will be reimbursed against receipts and may be combined with other sources of funding.
All applicants must submit their paper to the meeting directly. Application for this travel grant and the meeting are completely separate activities.
1. Fill out the application form: https://www.imstat.org/ims-awards/ims-new-researcher-travel-award-application-form/
2. Send these items as ONE PDF via email to email@example.com. Include subject line TRAVEL AWARD: <last name of applicant>.
- Title, abstract, a brief 1-2 page summary of the paper to be presented, and one copy of the full paper or a link to a website where the paper appears.
- A recent CV. The CV should include a list of publications.
3. Have two letters of recommendation sent directly by the recommender to firstname.lastname@example.org using TRAVEL AWARD: <last name of applicant> in the subject line.
4. IMS Membership – Be sure you are currently a member of the IMS. You can join here.
All applications must be received by February 1.
Applications will be reviewed by the IMS Committee on Travel Awards, and applicants will be notified in late April. The paper must be the work of the new researcher, although it may be have been done in collaboration with others.
All applicants must submit their paper to the meeting directly. This travel grant award application and the meeting abstract submission are separate