The Caucus for Women in Statistics (CWS) and the Portuguese Statistical Association (SPE) are proud to announce the launching of the International Day for Women in Statistics and Data Science (IDWSDS) with its first annual celebration event on October 11, 2022 (the second Tuesday of October in UTC time). We hope that this will be the annual event for the celebration of women statisticians and data scientists around the world.
Women are under-represented in Statistics and Data Science. There have been global efforts to increase women in STEM disciplines, such as the UN’s International Day of Women and Girls in Science, the International Day for Women in Mathematics, and ISI’s International Year of Women in Statistics and Data Science. The responsibility to increase diversity, inclusion and equity falls on each one of us, as we strive to ensure greater future representation among the younger generations within our profession. We must act now. Like the UN and mathematical societies, we propose to create an International Day of Women in Statistics and Data Science (IDWSDS). We will have a virtual conference to celebrate women statisticians and data scientists on the second Tuesday of October.
What is the IDWSDS?
The IDWSDS will promote and celebrate women in statistics and data science all around the globe with a conference. The aims are to:
- Showcase women and their contributions to the field
- Connect women statisticians and data scientists around the world
- Encourage collaborations among statistical societies around the world
- Impact statistics and data science to become more inclusive and diverse
- Bridge statistics and data science
How you can help
The IDWSDS will take place on October 11, 2022. We need your help to:
- Communicate and spread the word!
- Sponsor a session or group of dedicated sessions
- Support the event by including your own activities
- Assign a representative to help with the promotion of the event
- Reach out to young people, e.g., hold a Florence Nightingale Day in October for students in middle and/or high school (training would be provided in the summer)
Note that this will be a virtual event in the spirit of the first Around the World conference which means there will be a place for both live and recorded presentations and sessions and other contributions.
Because time flies, do start planning this event in advance. Please check our Twitter account @cwstat for updates and the website (idwsds.org – which will shortly be updated) closer to the event. Submit your session ideas to email@example.com. Thank you in advance for your support!