The Applied Public Health Statistics Section of the American Public Health Association (APHA) presents the Mortimer Spiegelman Award annually to honor a statistician below the age of 40 in the calendar year of the award who has made outstanding contributions to health statistics, especially public health statistics.
The award was established in 1970 and is presented annually at the APHA meeting. The award serves the following three purposes:
• To honor the outstanding achievements of both the recipient and Spiegelman
• To encourage further involvement in public health by the finest young statisticians
• To increase awareness of APHA and the Applied Public Health Statistics Section in the academic statistical community
The Spiegelman Award recipient must be a health statistician who has made outstanding contributions to statistical methodology and its applications in public health (broadly defined).
The award is open to early-career investigators regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or citizenship. Specifically, candidates must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• The candidate must be under age 40 throughout the award calendar year; or
• The candidate must have obtained a terminal degree in statistics or a statistics-related field in the last 10 years.
For those receiving a terminal degree after considerable professional experience, or with extenuating life circumstances such as the birth of a child, the committee will make exceptions to the eligibility requirements. If extenuating circumstances impact the eligibility of your nominee, please include a description in your nominating letter.
Nominations are due by May 1st of the award calendar year. A nomination should include the following items:
• A nominating letter that states the candidate’s date of birth, and that describes contributions to statistics for public health
• Up to three letters of support
• The candidate’s detailed CV
Submit your nomination and read more about Mortimer Spiegelman, at https://spiegelmanaward.github.io/