For Outstanding Achievement By A Woman In The Statistical Sciences.
The Department of Biostatistics in the School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) is pleased to request nominations for the Fourteenth Annual Janet L. Norwood Award for Outstanding Achievement by a Woman in the Statistical Sciences. The award will be conferred on Wed 9/9/2015. The award recipient will be invited to deliver a lecture at the UAB award ceremony, and will receive all expenses, the award, and a $5,000 prize. Acceptance of the award is conditional on delivering the lecture at UAB on 9/9/2015.
Eligible individuals are women who have completed their terminal degree, have made extraordinary contributions and have an outstanding record of service to the statistical sciences, with an emphasis on both their own scholarship and on teaching and leadership of the field in general and of women in particular and who, if selected, are willing to deliver a lecture at the award ceremony. For additional details about the award, please visit our website at https://www.uab.edu/soph/home/news-events/awards/other/janet-l-norwood-award.
How to nominate: Please send a full curriculum vitae accompanied by a letter of not more than two pages in length describing the nature of the candidate’s contributions. Contributions may be in the area of development and evaluation of statistical methods, teaching of statistics, application of statistics, or any other activity that can arguably be said to have advanced the field of statistical science. Self-nominations are acceptable.
Please send nominations to:
David B. Allison, Ph.D.
Distinguished Professor, Quetelet Endowed Professor of Public Health, Associate Dean for Science; Director, Office of Energetics; Director, Nutrition Obesity Research Center firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for receipt of nominations is Fri 6/26/2015. Electronic submissions of nominations are encouraged. The winner will be announced by Mon 7/6/2015.
1. (2002) Dr. Jane F. Gentleman: Dir, Div Health Interview Statistics, NCHS & VP ASA
2. (2003) Dr. Nan M. Laird: Henry Pickering Walcott Prof, Biostatistics, Harvard
3. (2004) Dr. Alice S. Whittemore: Prof & Co-Chair, Health Research & Policy, Stanford
4. (2005) Dr. Clarice R. Weinberg: NIEHS Biostatistics Branch Chief
5. (2006) Dr. Janet Turk Wittes: Pres, Statistics Collaborative Inc.
6. (2007) Dr. Marie Davidian: Distinguished Prof, Statistics at NC State
7. (2008) Dr. Xihong Lin: Prof, Biostatistics, Harvard
8. (2009) Dr. Nancy Geller: Dir, NHLBI Office of Biostatistics Research
9. (2010) Dr. L. Adrienne Cupples: Prof, Biostatistics & Epidemiology, Boston University
10. (2011) Dr. Lynne Billard: University Prof, University of Georgia
11. (2012) Dr. Nancy Flournoy: Prof, Statistics, University of Missouri
12. (2013) Dr. Kathryn Roeder: Prof, Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
13. (2014) Dr. Judith D. Singer: Senior Vice Provost, Faculty Development & Diversity, James Bryant Conant Prof, Education, Harvard University