FREE Student Membership
Did you say FREE?
The Institute of Mathematical Statistics, a unique international
organization representing wide-ranging interests in statistical
research, offers FREE membership to students. Membership includes full
- an annual subscription to the newsy IMS Bulletin
- reduced subscription rates to our journals and cosponsored journals. Our journals are world leaders in their fields for research and review articles.
- free electronic access to past issues of all our journals.
- discounts at our sponsored meetings. The IMS sponsors a series of meetings: an Annual Meeting (usually held during the summer), regional meetings, and special topics meetings. Many of these are joint meetings with other societies. It is an excellent way in which you can be part of the worldwide statistical scientific community.
- reduced rates on other publications.
What’s the catch?
It is your participation in all of IMS's varied activities that we seek; students represent the future of our field.
Great! Tell me more about the IMS.
Publications: IMS publishes five journals: Annals of Statistics,
Annals of Applied Statistics, Annals of Probability, Annals of Applied
Probability, and Statistical Science. If you are working towards a
Ph.D. in statistics or probability, you will no doubt become
acquainted with at least one of the specialist Annals as you begin
your dissertation research. But all statistics graduate students, even
first year students and those intending to pursue only a Masters
Degree, will want to read the review journal Statistical Science.
Statistical Science is published four times a year, and features
review articles and discussion on areas in statistics of wide current
interest. The journal's policy is for all articles, including those
discussing advanced research topics, to be interesting and accessible
to beginning statistics graduate students, without sacrificing genuine
intellectual content. Statistical Science is an excellent way of
keeping up with developments in all parts of the field. Another
fascinating aspect of Statistical Science is its interviews with
leading statisticians and probabilists, which will give you an insight
into the way that our field has grown and developed.
Meetings: The IMS sponsors a series of meetings: an Annual Meeting (usually held during the summer), regional meetings, and special topics meetings. Many of these are joint meetings with other societies. Student Members of IMS are entitled and strongly encouraged to present papers and are generally eligible for reduced registration rates. They are eligible for Laha Travel awards that provide $500 towards expenses of students attending the Annual Meeting. In addition, we have an active New Researchers Committee that sponsors special meetings every two years.
Advertisements and advocacy: The IMS Bulletin and this website contains numerous ads for academic and other positions worldwide. The IMS distinguishes our field by serving as an advocate for the science of statistics and probability, and your participation undoubtedly adds to the influence it can have. The IMS is the premier international statistics professional society.* Join and find out for yourself!
* A strong claim, perhaps, but see for example Statistical Science, February 1994, Volume 9, pp. 94-108.
So what do I have to do now?
You can sign up to become a member online or by sending in a form. Please contact the IMS Dues and Subscriptions Office.